Paper Crafting Place

Friday, October 15, 2010

Container Altering Tutorial for TGF - Halloween style!

So Jessica asked me to put together a tutorial for the TGF newsletter this month and I decided to show you how I alter Crystal Light containers!  Halloween is my favorite holiday ever and I bought these two TGF digis last week so I figured that a holiday treat container would be fun.  They are cheap, easy to find and you can use them to hold lots of different things :0)  Here's one side of the finished product:


1.  Start off with one of the oval Crystal Light containers (the round ones are fine too, just personal preference) and just peel off the outer plastic label.

2.  Cut your paper of choice down to size.  Because this is a round/oval container I would use thinner paper for this part, I learned the hard way that anything close to cardstock thickness will not lay down flat or stick because it's too stiff.  Make sure you use a good adhesive too, like your ATG or Glue Glider. You also want to make sure to start and end the paper on the 'flat' side of the container so that it will lay down properly.

A great thing about using the Crystal Light containers is that they are opaque so if you use double sided paper you can see the opposite side when you look in the container

2.  I wanted to make this container two sided so I added a piece of another type of patterned paper on each flat side.  One side I just added a strip of paper, the other side I cut out a piece using my Nestabilities.


3.  On this container I decided to add a strip of "Goo" on the top and bottom, so I used my Martha Stewart border punch.  I also went ahead and added my images.  I prefer to add my image before I try to embellish because I think it's easier to see where I have space to fill in once the images are stuck in place.  I used adhesive foam squares to attach Anya and Ian because it gives some dimension.

4.  Now is where I added all of my embellishments.  I did a large Prima flower on either side with a fun Halloween brad in the middle.  I also added a spider with googley eyes on Ians side and some paper spiders on Anya's as well as some Halloween rain dots to help fill in the space.

5.  Finished product! You can fill these with candy or other treats, store your bookmarks in them (I have one for that purpose) and because they are plastic you can even put flowers in them, though I'd probably stick with fake ones so you don't get your paper and images messed up  ;0)



Hope I've inspired you to try something new!
~Rach

Ingredients:
Empty Crystal Light container
Copics
Paper - K&Co "Spooktacular"
Dies/Punches - Martha Stewart "Drippy Goo", Nestabilities "Mega Curved Rectangles", EK Success spider mini punch
Embellies - Rain dots, Primas, misc brads, Stickles

7 comments:

mycardz said...

Wow, what an AWESOME idea GF!! I love it. You really rocked this tutorial and I love the finished product - very cool! Thanks so much for sharing this!! hugz, Mary

Amy said...

Super cute container Rach and your tutorial is fabulous! So easy to follow I might even be able to make one! :)

WickedPixie said...

Rachel, these are SO SUPER COOL!! I love the papers you used and your coloring is phenomenal!! Fantastic project!! :-)Traci

scrapn_momof2 said...

Rachel, these are just totally AWESOME!! Love your coloring (as always) and the papers. Great job!

Leanne said...

I loved reading about this toot on the newsletter. Congrats! How fabulous are these? These are both such cute gifts and I love how you can dress them up for any occassion. Thanks for all the pointers in the toot and I love those cute, colored up images. Thanks so much for sharing Rachel! hugs,

Jessica Diedrich said...

You did a WONDERFUL job on this, Rach, I'm so glad I asked! Such awesome little treats for Halloween and I always love your altered stuff. Just gorgeous! Thanks again!

Tasha said...

Rach you so rock. This tutorial is awesome and the end result is so cool and funky love them!
love tasha xx